When winter fades in the rearview mirror and spring is on the horizon, our focus should turn to detoxification. What does tomato soup have to do with a spring detox, you ask.
Well, in the spring, our bodies go through a natural cleansing process with the change in season. It is the perfect time to do a cleanse or a detox because this is when it is most supported by nature. (That’s why it’s called “spring cleaning” after all!)
As the weather gets warmer, we are more inclined to incorporate more raw foods into our diet along with bitter roots and astringent herbs. The added fiber and living enzymes act to scrub the lining of our intestines, leaving us with a fresh start!
My raw tomato soup recipe is a great way to welcome spring.
Spicy Raw Tomato Soup
- 2 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
- 2 sun-dried tomato slices, soaked
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup spring water
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (reserve—do not blend)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp of oregano (optional)
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- Soak sun-dried tomato slices for at least 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop and combine all ingredients (except the 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes) in a high powered blender, such as a NutriBullet.
- Blend until smooth, then remove from the blender and combine with the remaining tomatoes. This will add a nice texture to the soup.
- Season to taste and then serve fresh!
Spring also offers the opportunity to get outside and explore Nature. Forest bathing helps to cleanse and nourish your emotions, just as tomato soup helps to cleanse and nourish your body.