By Gillian B
This recipe is a real WINNER! Since trying it at a friend’s place a few months ago, we have been making it regularly. It is crispy, crunchy and totally delicious. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free and raw! It is achieved in a dehydrator that helps keep the healthy fats in the seeds intact because of the low temperature and the slow drying process.
I must warn you — This onion bread is addictive!
This recipe has been adapted from the RAWvolution Cookbook.
Famous Onion Bread
Makes 9 servings
- 3 large yellow onions
- ¾ cup flax seeds, ground in a high-speed blender
- ¾ cup sunflower seeds, ground in a food processor
- ½ coconut aminos (in place of soy-based Nama Shoyu)
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- Peel and halve the onions. Using a food processor with a slicing disc, thinly slice the onions.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients. When well mixed, combine with the sliced onions.
- Spread 2 cups of the mixture onto a dehydrator tray pinned with a Teflex sheet or parchment paper. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 24 hours and then flip and put back in for another 12 hours.
- When prepared, either cut the bread apart with scissors or simply rip it apart with your hands and enjoy!
This recipe is wonderful with hummus, guacamole or even just on its own! I hope you like it as much as I do!