According to a recent study, the extract of a common plant may help stop the growth of cancer cells in the stomach. The study appeared in the Journal of Cellular Physiology. Researchers examined how whole tomato extracts from two varieties of tomatoes affected cancer cells in the stomach.
According to the American Cancer Society, about 28,000 cases of stomach cancer will be diagnosed in 2017, and about 10,960 people will die from stomach cancer this year. The average age of people diagnosed with stomach cancer is 69, and there are several risk factors that can increase your chances. Risk factors include a diet full of smoked foods and meat, smoking, being overweight or obese, previous stomach surgery and a family history of stomach cancer.
If you don’t eat tomatoes on a regular basis, the results of this study might just convince you to add them to your daily diet.
Researchers studied whole tomato extract from the San Marzano tomato and the Corbarino tomato. They found that the extracts were able to stop the growth of cancer cells. They also discovered that the tomato extracts had the ability to interfere with cancel cell migration from the primary tumor to surrounding parts, and even kill cancer cells.
One of the highly beneficial nutrients in a tomato is a powerful antioxidant known as lycopene. Lycopene has been found to protect the body from infections and repair damage. While lycopene is powerful on its own, researchers found that the cancer-fighting properties of the tomato extracts didn’t come from just one compound. The combination of nutrients and antioxidants in the whole tomato is responsible for its anti-cancer abilities.
Co-author of the study, Daniela Barone, said, “The anti-tumoral effect seem not related to specific compounds, such as lycopene, but rather suggest that tomatoes should be considered in their entirety.” The researchers suggested that additional studies should be conducted to examine the effects of other tomato varieties on cancer cells.
Additional Health Benefits Of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are full of additional health benefits that make them an important part of any healthy diet. Not only do they have anti-cancer properties, tomatoes also:
- Improve Your Vision – The Vitamin A in tomatoes help to improve your vision and prevent macular degeneration.
- Protect Your Heart – The lycopene in tomatoes prevent lipid oxidation, which protects your heart from cardiovascular diseases.
- Aid In Digestive Health – Tomatoes keep you digestive system healthy by preventing constipation and diarrhea, and removing toxins from the body.
- Promote Healthy Skin – Tomatoes help maintain healthy teeth, bones, hair and skin. The antioxidants in tomatoes are anti-aging.
- Lower Hypertension – Consuming tomatoes daily reduces your risk of developing high blood pressure, thanks in part to the potassium content of tomatoes.