If there is Heaven on Earth, it may just start here, with Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread. Nourishing and delicious, this bread is a crowd-pleaser. In fact, maybe it’s just a bit too good.
This gluten- and dairy-free dark chocolate almond butter bread will satisfy your sweet and chocolate cravings in a healthier way. Made with whole ingredients, this is one recipe you’ll want to make again and again.
The bread itself is only sweetened with banana, and you can keep it totally refined-sugar free by choosing a high quality dark chocolate sweetened with a natural sweetener, such as coconut sugar, maple syrup, stevia, dates, or monkfruit (a zero glycemic and zero calorie natural fruit based sweetener). If you want an added superfood boost, chop up one of these Sacred Chocolate bars into chunks.
Here’s the delicious chocolate-y recipe:
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup almond butter (preferably without salt)
1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of pink salt (only if your almond butter is unsalted)
1 1/2 oz. dark chocolate chunks*
1/2 banana, sliced (optional)
1/2 oz. dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you have a bullet blender, blend the bananas in it until liquified, and pour into a large bowl. If no blender, in a large bowl, mash well with a fork for a few minutes, until they turn into a smooth, lump-free liquid or soup-like texture.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir well until fully combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 ounces of dark chocolate chunks. Stir well.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with coconut oil. Pour the batter into it.
- If you like, lay the sliced banana down the middle of the loaf, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chunks on the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy!
*Instead of using pre-made chocolate chunks or chips, you can make your own by chopping up your favorite dark chocolate bar.
Looking for more? Begin with your own freshly made almond butter. And get the printable recipe for Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Bread here.
About the Author: Maria Marlowe is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who has helped thousands of people improve their health by optimizing their diet. She has created meal plans and programs to help you lose weight, clear up acne, and spend less time in the kitchen yet still eat healthy.
She has been featured in Vogue, The New York Times, NBC, Well + Good, and more. Her first book, The Real Food Grocery Guide, will teach you how to eat healthy without going broke.