Need a healthier alternative to your favorite comfort food? Look no further.
This Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese is loaded with good for you ingredients yet will still hit the spot as if you were eating straight out of the blue box.
A creamy and savory sweet potato sauce replaces dairy-based cheese, while alternative pastas, like brown rice or chickpea pasta make it gluten-free.
Here are just some of the benefits:
Sweet potato is provides a high amount of Vitamin A, which is great for keeping your skin clear and healthy. It’s also full of fiber and nutrients that support your immune system and overall health.
Brown rice pasta is a delicious alternative to wheat pasta. It has a similar texture and taste to actual pasta, yet doesn’t contain gluten.
Garlic provides anti-inflammatory benefits, supports the cardiovascular system, and even has antiviral and antibacterial properties, making it a smart food to include in your diet,especially during cold and flu season.
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable, which are known for its cancer-protective and detoxification benefits.
So what are you waiting for? Dig in!
Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese
Time: 40 mins
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1 cm cubes
1 Tbsp. + 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, liquified
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
8 oz brown rice or chickpea pasta
3 cups of broccoli florets, chopped finely into small bite-size pieces
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, toss the sweet potato with 1 tbs. oil to coat thoroughly, lay out flat on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes until pieces are tender but not browned.
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta. Cook according to package directions, and simply add the broccoli 30 seconds (if chopped very finely) to 1 minute (if slightly bigger pieces) before the pasta is done to quickly cook it. It will turn bright green. Drain.
- Meanwhile, while waiting for water to boil, combine one heaping cup of roasted sweet potato with 2 cups of almond milk in a blender. Process until smooth. Reserve any remaining sweet potato to use as topping for pasta. Set aside the sweet potato milk.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the 3 tbs. oil and slowly add the flour, whisking constantly until thoroughly combined. Continue whisking about 3-5 minutes, taking care not to burn the flour. A nutty aroma will develop, which is when you can stir in the remaining ingredients: the sweet potato milk mixture, salt, garlic, mustard, soy sauce, lime juice. Whisk often, bring to a boil, and then down to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until pasta is done. The sauce will cook down and get thick.
- After the pasta and broccoli have been drained, pour into the skillet with sweet potato sauce, and if you add additional sweet potato cubes, add them as well. Stir well to coat. Serve.
After coating the pasta and veggies in sweet potato sauce, you can transfer to a casserole dish and bake in the oven at 350 for an additional 20 minutes if you desire.
Get the printable recipe here.
Author: Maria Marlowe is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who helps people lose weight or clear up their acne by switching to a real food diet. She posts healthy recipes and meal plans at mariamarlowe.com. She has been featured in Vogue, The New York Times, NBC, Well + Good, and more.