Do you find yourself always rushing in the morning? Or do you want to save time before work with a quick bite to eat? Well, this chia pudding parfait is the perfect grab-and-go breakfast that will keep you satiated until lunch. It’s perfect to batch cook on a Sunday and use throughout the week.
First, here are some benefits of having sweet potato in your diet:
- Clear skin: Since sweet potatoes provide nearly 400% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A, they help keep your skin clear and acne-free.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: Sweet potatoes provide anti-inflammatory benefits. If you find them, you could also use purple sweet potatoes, which contain anthocyanins, antioxidants being studied for their cancer protective benefits.
- Supports healthy digestion: Sweet potatoes provide about 7 grams, or 26% of the recommended daily intake of fiber, which helps keep you satisfied and supports healthy digestion and elimination.
Try out the recipe and enjoy your mornings even more!
Sweet Potato and Coconut Chia Seed Pudding Parfait
SWEET POTATO PUDDING
1 medium sweet potato (about 10 ounces)*
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. almond butter
1/8 tsp. each: vanilla extract, cinnamon, pink salt
1 tsp. unrefined coconut oil, liquified**
CHIA SEED PUDDING***
1 can of full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup chia seeds
TOPPINGS (CHOOSE 2+ OF YOUR FAVORITES):
¼ cup frozen or fresh organic blueberries
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
1-2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. cacao nibs
2 tsp. shredded coconut
1-2 Tbsp. chopped almonds
FOR THE SWEET POTATO PUDDING
- Steam the sweet potato: Fill a steamer pot with about an inch of water and bring to a boil over high heat on the stovetop. Meanwhile, cut the sweet potato into 1/2-inch thick rounds, then in quarters (or eighths if it’s a very wide potato), add to steamer basket, cover, and steam for about 8 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Make the liquid base: While that steams, add water, almond butter, date, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt to a bullet blender. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- When the sweet potato is steamed, add that to the blender, along with the liquified coconut oil,** and blend until smooth, another 30-60 seconds.
- Spoon sweet potato pudding into a glass container, top with 2-3 toppings. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or overnight.
FOR THE CHIA PUDDING
- Combine the coconut milk and chia seeds in a glass container, and stir well until fully combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
TO MAKE THE PARFAIT
- Into a small glass jar, spoon in a layer of the sweet potato pudding, then the coconut chia pudding, then another layer of the sweet potato pudding.
*If using organic sweet potatoes, keep the skin on. If not, peel the skin before chopping.
**To liquefy coconut oil, place the glass jar in a warm water bath, or simply scoop out the amount of oil you need, and warm that in an appropriate container in the microwave or stovetop.
***Note coconut chia pudding makes about 3 servings, so you will have one left over, to eat on it’s own.
When covered and refrigerated, this should last for up to 3-4 days.
Get the printable recipe here.
About the Author: Maria Marlowe is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who has helped thousands of people improve their health by optimizing their diet. She has created meal plans and programs to help you lose weight, clear up acne, and spend less time in the kitchen yet still eat healthy.
She has been featured in Vogue, The New York Times, NBC, Well + Good, and more. Her first book, The Real Food Grocery Guide, will teach you how to eat healthy without going broke.