Creamy and delicious, avocados go with just about every kind of food, but they are wonderful on their own. This very portable food is not only a source of healthy fats, but is also loaded with vitamins and minerals. It’s no wonder you should eat avocado every day!
About the Avocado
Native to Mexico and Central America, the avocado is classified in the same family as camphor and cinnamon. An avocado is botanically a large berry that grows on a tree that can reach six feet tall. Just like a banana, an avocado ripens 1-2 weeks after being picked.
Avocados are often referred to as one of the healthiest foods due to their impressive nutritional value. Check it out!
An avocado contains these vitamins and minerals:
- Thiamin, Vitamin B1
- Riboflavin, Vitamin B2
- Niacin, Vitamin B3
- Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B5
- Pyridoxine, Vitamin B6
- Folic Acid, Vitamin B9
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
14 Reasons Why You Should Eat Avocado Everyday!
- An avocado contains more potassium than a banana. Avocados have 14%, and a banana contains 10%.
- Avocados have 23% folate. Folate lowers incidences of heart disease. Vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione are also good for the heart. Folate can lower the risk of having a stroke.
- Folate is also essential in the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defects.
- Eating avocados helps our body absorb five times the amount of carotenoids (lycopene and beta carotene).
- Avocados contain more carotenoid lutein than any other fruit, protecting against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- High in beta-sitosterol, avocados lower bad cholesterol by 22%, raise good cholesterol by 11%, and also lower blood triglycerides by 20%.
- Studies show high oleic acid in avocados can prevent breast cancer, and inhibit tumor growth in prostate cancer.
- Avocados are high in fiber and will help you feel fuller longer, potentially helping with weight loss. (High fiber helps metabolic health and steadies blood sugar.)
- Avocado extract paired with soybean oil can reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Pholyphenols and flavonoids within avocados have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Avocados cleanse the intestines, relieving bad breath.
- Avocado oil greatly nourishes the skin and is a beneficial treatment for psoriasis and other skin irritations.
- Avocados contain an antioxidant called glutathione that prevents heart disease, cancer, and slows the signs of aging.
- Glutathione has also been shown to fight free radicals.
… Need I say more? Perhaps it’s even an excellent idea to eat avocado daily.
Avocados are also detoxifying!
Our blood and cells carry oxygen all throughout our bodies. When we are exposed to environmental pollutants, these toxins change the oxygen in our mitochondria into free radicals that can destroy cells and DNA. This damage creates chronic illnesses. Researchers from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology found that glutathione in avocados goes into our mitochondria and neutralizes the free radicals.
Basically, AVOCADOS ARE THE BEST EVER!