Magnesium deficiency has been referred to as “the silent epidemic of our times.” Most of the symptoms of low magnesium are not unique to magnesium deficiency, which makes it hard to diagnose. Low magnesium levels often go unrecognized and untreated, although linked to many health problems.
Signs of magnesium deficiency include:
- Irritability and anxiety
- Impaired memory and cognitive function
- Nausea and vomiting
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle cramps
- Irregular or rapid heartbeat
Magnesium plays an important role in nutrient absorption and balance in the body. Less than 60% of adult men and women in the U.S. meet the adequate intake values for magnesium. Magnesium can be found in food sources, but magnesium oil is the most effective way to supplement the body’s deficiency.
Here are 9 benefits of magnesium oil you need to know:
1. It Strengthens Teeth and Bones
Magnesium plays an important role in successful calcium absorption. When magnesium levels are low, calcium is not absorbed well in the body. Magnesium oil can help ensure strong teeth and bones thanks to increased calcium absorption.
2. It Helps Repair Muscles
Magnesium has been used by athletes for years to relieve pain associated with sore muscles and inflammation. Magnesium oil is a natural muscle relaxant that can soothe sore muscles and joints when applied topically.
3. It Helps You Sleep Better
Many people swear by magnesium to help them sleep. Magnesium has the ability to relax receptors in the brain and nervous system, which helps slow down the body and mind in order to fall asleep.
4. It Can Help Relieve Stress
Magnesium is known for its ability to relieve stress. It’s typically filtered out of the body via urine in times of stress. Supplementing with magnesium during stressful times can help keep your anxiety levels under control. Magnesium relieves stress by quieting the excitement of nerves in the muscles and brain.
5. It Can Reduce Pain
One of the top uses of magnesium oil is to reduce pain. Studies have shown that magnesium can help calm NDMA, which is a chemical that creates pain when stimulated. Magnesium oil can help provide relief for back pain, tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome when applied topically.
6. It Can Help Treat Skin Problems
Studies have shown that magnesium oil is able to break apart different fats and oils. This can help in reducing oils in the skin that cause acne and other skin problems. Magnesium also helps to lower stress levels, which can reduce stress-related skin irritation.
7. It Can Help Regulate Diabetes
Poorly controlled diabetes causes a large excretion of glucose in urine. This depletes magnesium levels and leads to problems with insulin resistance. Keeping a healthy level of magnesium in the body is important for diabetes patients.
8. It Can Provide Migraine Relief
People who suffer from migraines have lower levels of magnesium during their migraine attacks. Low levels of magnesium can affect multiple receptors and neurotransmitters that cause migraines. Regular magnesium supplementation can reduce the frequency of migraines.
9. It Can Regulate Hypertension
Magnesium supplementation has been shown to offer slight decreases in blood pressure in patients who suffer from hypertension. For those struggling to get their blood pressure under control, magnesium can help.
How To Use Magnesium Oil
- Spraying magnesium oil directly onto the skin is the most common application.
- Apply it after you shower, when the skin is clear of lotions and other oils.
- Rub it in and leave it to absorb for about 30 minutes.
- The first few time applying it may result in some uncomfortable tingling.
- Massage promotes blood flow and can maximize the absorption of magnesium oil.
- Simply massage the oil onto the desired area.
- Soaking in magnesium chloride diluted in a hot bath can be an effective alternative to direct application.
- You can also soak your feet and legs to relieve stress or pain.