Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes itchy patches of thick, red skin, often on the elbows, knees, scalp and back. Psoriasis speeds up the life cycle of skin cells, which causes the cells to build up on the surface of the skin. (1) Following a psoriasis diet and using psoriasis natural treatments can help manage the disease.
Psoriasis Natural Treatments
1. Reduce Stress
Stress is a common trigger for psoriasis flare-up’s. Managing stress levels can help heal the skin and reduce inflammatory immune system responses. Try exercise, meditation or spending time in nature.
2. Use Natural Topical Remedies
Using natural skin care products can help soothe inflammation and dryness caused by psoriasis. Natural topical remedies that can help improve psoriasis include Oregon grape (10 percent) cream, avocado and Vitamin B12 cream and aloe (0.5 percent) cream. (2)
Exercise helps heal psoriasis by lowering stress levels and promoting a healthy immune system. Be sure to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. Soaking in an Epsom salt bath or an oat bath can also help remove dead skin and calm itching.
4. Try Alternative Treatments
Studies have shown that homeopathic treatment can improve symptoms in people who suffer from psoriasis. (3) Acupuncture may also help by stimulating blood circulation to promote healing from the inside out.
5. Follow a Psoriasis Diet
To heal psoriasis naturally, follow a healthy, anti-inflammatory diet. A psoriasis diet should include:
- Probiotic Foods: Probiotics boost immunity, support healthy digestion and reduce inflammation. Add foods like kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut and kimchi to your diet.
- High-fiber Foods: Increasing your fiber intake can help you maintain a healthy digestive system. Fiber also helps with the body’s natural detox process. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, beans and seeds
- Foods High In Zinc: Studies have shown that zinc can help reduce pain and joint swelling linked to psoriasis. (4) Try pumpkin seeds, kefir and chickpeas.
- Foods High In Vitamin A: Vitamin A plays an important role in skin health. Eat cantaloupe, carrots, mango, tomatoes and kale to boost your Vitamin A intake.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is one of the best natural treatments for inflammation caused by psoriasis. The active ingredient in turmeric called curcumin is known for it’s strong anti-inflammatory properties. Add the spice to meals or smoothies throughout the day.
Supplements For The Psoriasis Diet
- Hydrochloric acid: Taking 1-3 capsules of hydrochloric acid with meals can help decrease flare-up’s and aid in protein digestion. (5)
- Vitamin D3: Taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 each day can help reduce psoriasis symptoms by slowing the growth of skin cells.
- Milk Thistle: Taking 250 milligrams of milk thistle three times a day can reduce cellular growth and aid in the liver’s detoxification process. (6)
- Probiotics: Taking 50 billion units of probiotics a day can increase the helpful bacteria in the gut and reduce digestive issues linked to psoriasis.
Essential Oils For The Psoriasis Diet
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil works as a psoriasis natural treatment by reducing inflammation and supporting skin health.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil has calming anti-inflammatory properties that helps soothe the skin and promote healing.
- Frankincense Oil: Frankincense oil has natural antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help provide relief for psoriasis.
- Myrrh Oil: Myrrh oil helps soothe chapped, flaky and cracked skin caused by psoriasis.
- Coconut Oil: As a psoriasis natural treatment coconut oil provides anti-inflammatory, moisturizing benefits to the skin. (7)
Natural Remedy For Psoriasis On The Scalp
Mix 1-2 teaspoons of Vitamin E oil or 1-2 tablespoons of aloe vera with 1 drop of lavender, peppermint or tea tree oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp and let the treatment soak for 30-60 minutes. Wash your hair with a gentle aloe shampoo and conditioner. (8)