Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation in the joints. Risk factors such as smoking, obesity, family history and exposure to environmental toxins can trigger the disease. (1) Rheumatoid arthritis natural treatments can help control painful rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Joint pain – Swelling in and around the joints can last for six weeks or more. Joint pain is most common in the wrists, feet, hands, ankles and knees
- Redness, heat and tenderness near inflamed joints – Pain and soreness are usually experienced in a symmetrical pattern, impacting both sides of the body
- Morning stiffness – Stiffness that is usually worse right after waking up (2)
- Muscle aches
- Trouble moving normally, trouble bending over, climbing stairs, walking or exercising
- Loss of appetite
- Low-grade fever
Rheumatoid Arthritis Natural Treatments
1. Eat an Anti-inflammatory Diet
A diet high in antioxidants can help control rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. Rheumatoid arthritis natural treatment foods include those that are naturally high in omega-3’s such as nuts and seeds. Omega-3 foods help reduce inflammation around the joints. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruit and healthy fats for natural treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain and swelling. (3)
2. Stay Active
Rheumatoid arthritis symptoms can make exercise difficult, but it’s important to stay active. Joint pain tends to be wore after periods of inactivity. Low-impact exercises such as cycling, walking, water aerobics and yoga are best for people who suffer form rheumatoid arthritis. (4)
3. Manage Stress Levels
Stress can cause increased inflammation in the body which can lead to pain, swelling and stiffness. Be sure to get plenty of sleep and manage stress levels properly. Relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation and deep breathing can help relax muscles, balance hormones and decrease cortisol levels.
4. Try Natural Pain Remedies
Rheumatoid arthritis natural treatment options include massage therapy, acupuncture, acupressure and essential oils. Ice packs and warm baths can also help manage painful symptoms. Essential oils that work as home remedies for arthritis in the hands and other parts of the body include ginger, orange, myrrh, frankincense and eucalyptus. (5)
5. Reduce Inflammation Using Natural Supplements
Anti-inflammatory supplements work as rheumatoid arthritis natural treatments. Try turmeric and ginger extract, boswellia or frankincense, and omega-3 supplements to help reduce inflammation and swelling in the joints.