If you occasionally like to sneak a piece of food to your dog, I won’t tell anyone. But make sure you know the difference between foods that are good for your dog verses foods that could seriously harm your four-legged friend. Grapes are high up on the list of foods never to feed your dog, for a good reason.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re eating green or red grapes, or whether or not they have seeds. If you’re snacking on the popular fruit, make sure your pup doesn’t go anywhere near your healthy human treat.
Here is the terrifying reason dogs should never eat grapes:
Both grapes and raisins can end up causing kidney failure in your beloved furry friend. Experts aren’t exactly sure why, but grapes and raisins can poison your pet! Dr. Jessica Potosky of the Sanford Animal Hospital explains, “ingesting amounts as low as 0.4 ounces per kilogram of body weight can cause clinical signs of renal failure.” That means even a few grapes could be deadly to your dog!
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes
If your dog gets his or her paws on a bowl of grapes or raisins, contact your vet immediately. Your veterinarian may need to do bloodwork and a urine analysis to determine the health of your dog’s kidneys. Symptoms of grape and raisin poisoning in your dog may include:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal Pain
- Not being able to pass urine
- Foul breath
- Oral ulcers
Fruits That Are Safe For Dogs To Eat
If you really want to slip fido a treat from your plate, make sure you choose something from the list below. According to the American Kennel Club, fruits that are safe for dogs to eat include: