Who does not like a good cup of Joe to start their day off? Although the number of Americans drinking coffee declined for the third year in a row, there is still an average of 60 percent of people consuming the aromatic beverage, equating to over 500 million cups per year.
This $30 billion industry has left its mark in the world time and time again – keeping busy bees alive at work, helping early risers jump start their day and even allowing old and new friends catch up over a few brewed cups. It has gone as far as becoming a part of skin care and meat rubs!
There are many benefits to drinking this addictive Java, from shielding skin cancer and lowering rates of type-2 diabetes to protecting one from Parkinson’s disease. However, your acidic cup of coffee can cause heartburn and major discomfort in your stomach that could put a damper on your day.
But fear not! There is a recipe that will be easy on your stomach, and will give you a healthy jolt of energy to keep you going all day. It is definitely not your typical cup of coffee, but it is one worth incorporating into your daily caffeine run.
Photo credit: Google.com
Makes a pitcher for the week (or days if you drink more than a few cups a day)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp organic ground vanilla bean (optional – for vanilla lovers)
- 4 cups coffee ground (your favorite roast) or herbal coffee
- 1 cup raw organic vanilla or vegan protein powder
- 10 dates (recommend them to be pitted)
- 2 cups coconut milk (can also use rice milk, almond milk, cashew milk – whatever makes you happy! Just try to stay away from fatty dairies like creamers or whole milk)
- Brew coffee with spices.
- Blend coffee, coconut milk, dates and powder in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Enjoy each morning to wake you up, energize you and keep you feeling satisfied, without the crash.