Smokey and delicious! This hearty soup is warming and super easy to make. If you like it spicy, you can add some cayenne or even red chilli flakes to take it up a notch.
Smokey Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2.5 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 stick of kombu (seaweed)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- ½ large onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 c water
- 1.5 -2 t sea salt
- 1 t smoked paprika
- ½ t cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne (optional)
- Soak beans overnight or longer in water on the counter.
- Drain and rinse beans then boil them in 6 cups of water and add the stick of kombu.
- When the beans are about half way cooked, add sweet potato, onion, garlic and spices, and simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until beans and sweet potato are tender.
- Remove from heat and fish out the piece of kombu. Using a high-powered blender, blend half of the soup and recombine!