This is one of my go-to meals, it is incredibly versatile. Sometimes I add turmeric, ginger and ground coriander or any warming spices to ease digestion. This soup also tastes amazing with some chopped carrots, spinach or any other vegetable your heart desires.
Tangy Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 c red lentils, rinsed
- 1 t cumin
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 6 cups organic vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook on low heat for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in lentils and combine well.
- Add stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, and soup is beginning to thicken about 25-30 minutes.
- That is it! Add extra stock or water to thin if necessary, but who doesn’t like a hearty soup? Add lemon juice and taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro if you so wish!