A lipoma is a growth of fat cells in a thin, fibrous capsule. Lipomas are usually found just below the skin, most commonly on the head, neck, arms, and underarms, but they can occur almost anywhere in the body. While they are noncancerous, they can be bothersome to many.
What Are the Symptoms of a Lipoma?
Lipomas are usually small – about 1-3 cm in size, and they can be felt underneath the skin. They are actually movable and have a soft, rubbery consistency. They can remain the same size or grow slowly over the years. They usually don’t cause pain, but the most bothersome symptom is that the location or size can make them noticeable to others, causing discomfort or self-esteem issues in those who have them.
Since they don’t commonly cause pain, lipomas are not usually treated. In the event that one becomes painful, infected or extremely bothersome, it can be removed by a health care professional. Lipomas appear across all age groups but most commonly in middle-aged men and women. The cause of lipomas is not completely understood, but the tendency to develop them is believed to be inherited. A minor injury may also trigger growth.
Removing and Treating Lipomas
The fatty tissue of a lipoma may be the body’s way of trying to get rid of unwanted material such as toxins or waste. Some believe a lipoma forms because the body is out of balance and cannot process the unwanted materials through normal channels such as the kidneys or liver. The skin is the body’s largest organ, so the body may resort to trying to release the waste through the skin, causing a noticeable fatty lump underneath the skin.
If you are living with lipomas and searching for a natural way to remove them, check out these home remedies that might just do the trick!
1. Natural Oil and Herb Ointment
- Neem oil is an astringent that helps to protect your skin. It’s commonly used in ancient Indian medicine to treat lipomas.
- Flaxseed oil has levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help to reduce inflammation.
- Cooled green tea is high in antioxidants to help regulate blood sugar and fatty tissue, so it works great as a base.
- Make an ointment using these three ingredients to help reduce the size and appearance of lipomas.
2. Honey and Flour
- Mix some raw honey with some flour and apply the mixture directly on the skin lump. The thickness of the application should be 1/2-1 cm in depth, so make sure the mix is fairly thick.
- Cover the lump with a paper towel or a bandage to keep the creamy mixture in place.
- Keep the mixture on for a day or up to 36 hours, then remove it and repeat.
- Repeat this method five times, and make the treatment last for about a week. This treatment will help fatty deposits under your skin to disappear.
3. Turmeric and Chickweed Salve
- Take 6 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of organic beeswax, 1 tablespoon of turmeric and 1 tablespoon of chickweed powder.
- Melt the beeswax in a pot over the stove then add in the olive oil.
- When the oil and wax is combined, turn the heat off and stir in the herbs.
- Pour the cooled mixture into a jar.
- Place some of the mix onto the affected area and cover it.
h/t: healthy food house