Delicata squash is a delicious and fast cooking squash, that is great on its own as a side dish, or delicious as part of a salad or warm veggie bowl. Unlike many other squashes, it cooks up incredibly fast, in just 20 minutes, and you don’t have to waste time peeling the skin, as it’s edible.
Delicata Squash Benefits
- Supports clear skin: just one cup contains 90% DV Vitamin A, which is needed for blemish-free skin.
- Powerful antioxidants: Vitamins A and C help prevent various illnesses while supporting good health.
- Supports eye health: the squash’s high Vitamin A content also supports eye health.
Here’s the recipe:
Roasted Delicata Squash
1 delicata squash
1-2 tsp. avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop the ends of the delicata squash, then slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the hollowed out part of the squash down on the cutting board, and slice into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Put on baking sheet.
- Top the squash with oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss and coat each piece well. Then, spread them out flat on the sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and serve as a side dish or on top of a warm winter salad.
No need to peel the skin; it is edible.
Get the printable recipe here.
Author: Maria Marlowe is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who has helped thousands of people improve their health by optimizing their diet. She has created meal plans and programs to help you lose weight, clear up acne, and spend less time in the kitchen yet still eat healthy.
She has been featured in Vogue, The New York Times, NBC, Well + Good, and more. Her first book, The Real Food Grocery Guide, will teach you how to eat healthy without going broke.