By Gillian B
Did you know that chewing gum is one of the most toxic products available in stores? It’s is LOADED with chemicals such as aspartame (artificial sweetener), BHT (a preservative), Calcium Casein Peptone (a weird milk derivative), a mystery substance called ‘gum base’ and other carcinogenic whitening agents. There is nothing natural about it, which is probably the reason they tell you never to swallow it!
Chewing gum may be entertaining but it is adding to the body’s toxic load and interfering with blood sugar regulation and metabolism. So whether you chew gum to freshen your breath, cure boredom or to avoid smoking, know that there are other, all natural, options out there!
One of my favorite after-meal treats consists of one simple ingredient and is a common spice! Gently sucking and chewing on a clove bud is a wonderful, all natural way to freshen your breath after eating a garlicky dinner.
The individual clove bud contains both male and female parts. The male part is the stem, and the female part is the ball. Ayurveda says that it’s best practice for men to remove the ball, only consuming the stem. However, women can consume both parts.
Call me crazy, but I always carry clove around with me in my purse to its always handy. I recommend sucking as much of the flavor out as you can before chewing and swallowing it because it packs a punch! Clove has a strong taste, but that is where all the benefits come in: the stronger the taste, the more natural it is and the more medicine it contains.
Health Benefits of Clove:
- Cloves are anti-septic, anti-fungal and anti-microbial to kill the bacteria that cause bad breath and other digestive problems.
- Clove is well known as a remedy for parasites.
- It’s used as a natural pain reliever especially for dental emergencies.
- It’s an incredible post-meal digestive aid. The strong tasting qualities of clove warm and stimulate agni or digestive fire. Clove is a carminative, to increase hydrochloric acid in the stomach and to improve peristalsis.
- This incredible spice is loaded with antioxidants and tops the charts for foods with highest ORAC value -over 290,000!
- This spice is also full of manganese, one of the richest sources, this is an important trace mineral for the body because it activates multiple enzymes and is a part of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD).
When sourcing your cloves, look for whole clove buds that are organically grown and fairly traded.
So, as you can see, using clove as breath freshener can actually do wonders for your health compared to its not-so-natural counterpart. It is time to replace your gum habit and add a little spice to your life!