Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from the lungs. Acute bronchitis usually develops from a cold or another respiratory infection, while chronic bronchitis is often caused by smoking. The inflammation and irritation of the lining of the bronchial tubes causes symptoms that are similar to cold and flu symptoms. (1) Bronchitis natural remedies can help relieve symptoms while speeding up the healing process.
- Sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Body aches
Bronchitis Natural Remedies
1. Eat An Anti-inflammatory Diet
Anti-inflammatory foods can help strengthen the immune system and reduce swelling. Add fresh fruits and vegetables to you diet, along with healthy fats and probiotics. Avoid foods that cause inflammation such as conventional dairy products, sugar and processed foods.
2. Try Pursed-Lips Breathing
Pursed-lips breathing is a technique that helps to slow down breathing to keep the airways open longer so the lungs can get rid of stale, trapped air. This technique can help improve breathing naturally. (2)
3. Stop Smoking
Studies have shown that the risk of chronic bronchitis is significantly higher in smokers. If you’re wondering how to heal bronchitis permanently, quitting is the most important step you can take toward health. (3)
4. Use a Humidifier
Bronchitis natural remedies may include a humidifier. A humidifier can help loosen mucus and open the airways for better breathing. Sleep with a humidifier on at night to help clear bronchitis symptoms. (4)
5. Drink Water
It’s important to stay hydrated, especially when you’re sick. Drinking water throughout the day will help thin the mucus that is built up in the bronchial tubes. Water can help reduce coughing and make it easier to breathe.
6. Take N-Acetylcysteine
N-acetylcysteine or NAC can be used as a bronchitis natural remedy. It helps decrease the severity and frequency of coughing attacks while improving overall lung function. A 2015 study found that taking 1,200 milligrams of NAC per day can be used to prevent airway obstruction in patients with chronic bronchitis. (5)
7. Vitamin C
Vitamin C gives the immune system a boost to reduce the severity and duration of colds and other illnesses. Take 1,000 milligrams of Vitamin C per day to fight off cold symptoms. If you’re already sick, take 4,000 milligrams a day to help flush the illness out of your system.
Echinacea is a powerful immune stimulator. Studies have shown that it has the ability to fight off the common cold and reduce symptoms associated with bronchitis. It can be used to ease pain, a sore throat or a headache. (6)
Ginseng can be used to help improve lung function. It’s anti-bacterial properties can help treat bronchitis by reducing inflammation, boosting and immune function and improving respiratory conditions.
11. Essential Oils
You can use several essential oils to help speed bronchitis recovery, thanks to their healing properties. Try:
- Oregano Oil for Bronchitis – Oregano oil is a natural antibacterial that supports bronchial health. (8) It has the power to treat viral conditions and reduce inflammation. Take 1-2 drops with equal parts of coconut oil internally for no longer than 2 weeks at a time.
- Peppermint Oil for Bronchitis – Peppermint oil has soothing and cooling abilities. It’s also a natural antimicrobial. Inhale peppermint oil to help relieve bronchitis symptoms, or apply 2-3 drops to your chest with a warm compress.
- Eucalyptus Oil for Bronchitis – Eucalyptus oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties. Pour a coup of boiling water into a bowl and mix in 10 drops of oil. Place a towel over your head, lean over the bowl and inhale deeply for 5-10 minutes to help reduce airway inflammation.