Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anus and lower rectum. They are similar to varicose veins, and the cause is often unknown. They may be the result of straining during bowel movements or increased pressure on the veins during pregnancy. Hemorrhoids may be internal or external. If left untreated for too long, more serious medical complications may result. If you are suffering from hemorrhoids, try one of these seven natural treatments for relief.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one of the best natural remedies for treating hemorrhoids. It has anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties that helps reduce irritation.
- To treat external hemorrhoids, apply a small amount of Aloe Vera to the affected area and slowly massage.
- To treat internal hemorrhoids, cut Aloe Vera leaves in strips. Be sure to cut off the thorn-like parts of the plant. Place the slices in a container and freeze them. Apply the cold Aloe Vera strip to the hemorrhoid to relieve pain, burning and itching.
Ice can help constrict the blood vessels, which will reduce swelling and provide pain relief.
- Apply an ice pack or a partially melted piece of ice wrapped in a cloth directly to the affected area. Hold for about 10 minutes. Do this several times a day.
- You can also use a small pack of frozen vegetables. Wrap the pack in a towel then apply it to the hemorrhoid. Do this for 20 minutes at a time, three times a day.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can be used to treat external hemorrhoids.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of olive oil each day. This will help to reduce inflammation.
- Crush the juice out of some plum leaves and add the juice to some olive oil. Apply this mixture to your hemorrhoids to relieve pain and swelling.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains nutrients that can provide relief from hemorrhoids by strengthening the capillaries and blood vessel walls.
- Saturate a cotton ball with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply it to hemorrhoid. You’ll feel some mild tingling, but relief will follow.
- Squeeze the juice from half of a lemon into a cup of hot milk and drink it. Do this every three hours for the best results.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has natural astringent properties. It can help shrink swollen blood vessels and provide relief from swelling and irritation from internal and external hemorrhoids.
- For external hemorrhoids, press a cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar against the inflamed area. Do this several times a day until the swelling decreases.
- For internal hemorrhoids, add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink it at least twice daily.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a mild astringent that can help ease discomfort associated with hemorrhoids.
- Soak a cotton ball in undistilled witch hazel and apply it to the hemorrhoids. Do this three times a day.
- You can also buy medicated pads that contain witch hazel. They can be used instead of toilet paper to protect from irritation.
7. Black Tea Bags
Black tea contains tannic acid, which is a natural astringent that can reduce pain and swelling associated with hemorrhoids.
- Soak a black tea bag in hot water. Remove it from the water and let it cool slightly. Apply the warm tea bag to the swollen veins for about 10 minutes. Do this two or three times a day.