If you’ve been trying to tighten and tone your booty, you’ve probably heard the word “squats” over and over again. While squats are indeed a great workout move, there are plenty of other exercises that work your glutes. If you’re looking to mix things up, try one of these six exercises for a toned tush!
1. Swiss Ball Hip Raise And Leg Curl
- Lie face-up on the floor and place your lower legs and heels on a Swiss ball.
- Push your hips up so your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
- Pull your heels toward you and roll the ball as close to your butt as possible.
- Pause for 1-2 seconds then reverse the motion by rolling the ball back until your body is in a straight line.
- Lower your hips back to the floor and repeat.
2. Donkey Kicks
- Start on the ground on your hands and knees.
- Keep your abs and glutes tights while raising your right heel toward the ceiling. Your foot should be directly above your butt.
- Hold the position and slowly return your knee toward the ground, without touching the ground.
- Repeat 15 times with each leg and perform 3 sets. Strap on ankle weights for a workout boost.
- Stand up straight with your legs at hip width’s apart.
- Step forward with you right foot and bend your knee at 90 degrees. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Go back to your original position and switch legs.
- Do 10-20 reps for 3 sets.
- To increase intensity, hold light dumbbells.
4. Dumbbell Step-Up
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them at arm’s lengths at your sides.
- Stand in front of a bench or step and place your left foot firmly on the step. Your knee should be bent at 90 degrees.
- Press your left heel into the step and push your body up until your left leg is straight and you’re standing on one leg on the bench. Your right foot should be elevated.
- Lower back down until your root foot touches the floor.
- Do 10 reps with your left leg then switch to your right leg for 10 reps. Do 3 sets.
5. Medicine Ball Hip Thrusts
- Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bend and your heels on a small medicine ball.
- Keep your abs tight while squeezing your glutes and hamstrings. Thrust your hips forward.
- Hold for a few seconds, then lower yourself 3/4 of the way back to the floor while keeping your abs contracted.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
6. Unilateral Stiff-Leg Deadlift
- Stand with your feet close together and hold a dumbbell in your right hand. Keep your head up and maintain a tight arch in the small of your back.
- Bend your right knee slightly while keeping your left leg straight and locked.
- Hinge at the hips to lower your torso toward the floor, using the weight to counterbalance as your left leg comes up in a straight line behind you.
- Keep your abs tight while squeezing your right glute and hamstring as you pull your torso back to vertical.
- Repeat 10 reps then switch legs. Do 3 sets.