This secret mixture can ease your digestive system and help you get to sleep faster, and you’ve probably used it before. It’s a turmeric-coconut combination, and it’s amazing!
If you do any type of cooking, then you have indeed heard of the spice, turmeric. It’s mostly used as the main spice in curry, but what you might not know is that the root of turmeric is used to make medicine.
Image Credit: Anjali Pathak
According to WebMD, Turmeric is used to treat:
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea, intestinal gas
- Liver problems
- And a slew of other conditions
The effects are so great that in some cultures turmeric is a beverage that is typically drunk before bed.
If you’re looking for a way to get a good night’s rest while helping out your insides, then the recipes below are for you.
Image Credit: Live Energized
Here is how to make your own tasty turmeric-coconut beverage:
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric — where to find
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (the absorption of turmeric is actually enhanced when combined with black pepper)
- 1″ piece of ginger sliced
- raw honey to sweeten, if desired.
- In a saucepan add all ingredients (except honey, if using) and whisk to combine
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble
- Then turn heat down to low and simmer for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld
- Strain out the ginger
- Add honey and stir
- Makes 2 servings, so you can share the love
Here’s how I keep it on hand for ease of use:
In a small jar combine:
- 3 Tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp powdered ginger
- Cover the jar and shake to mix
- To use: Mix 1 teaspoon of the powdered mix with 1 cup of coconut milk
Learn how to make your own Turmeric creation from Jason Wrobel, aka J-Wro, a vegan celebrity chef and raw food alchemist.