Shopping for makeup can sometimes be tricky. For one thing, finding just the right shade of foundation or blush can be like finding a needle in a haystack. And for another, so many store-bought products are filled with harmful chemicals. However, you can avoid these potentially dangerous ingredients by making your own makeup right at home. For example, this DIY blush is easy to make and as it’s made from beets, it will give you a beautiful color payoff. Furthermore, you can adjust the hue to suit your specific needs by adding either ginger or cinnamon.
Ingredients in this DIY blush:
These reddish-purple beauties are chock-full of nutrients. For example, they contain antioxidants, anti-aging benefits and are also anti-inflammatory. Although you would typically eat beets in order to reap these health benefits, you can also absorb their nutrients through your skin.
This powder contains vitamin C, which can help get rid of brown spots on the skin. Furthermore, vitamin C plays a key role in the synthesis of collagen, which is the basis of skin structure. (1)
Ginger and Cinnamon
These two ingredients will allow you to adjust the hue of your DIY blush. Be sure to start with just a pinch of either one. Experiment on your face to see what blends well with your unique skin tone. Cinnamon, like the nutritious beet, contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. And ginger offers health benefits as well for this DIY blush, such as the ability to fight infections. Ginger also has strong anti-inflammatory abilities. (2)
Lavender and Frankincense Essential Oils
Not only will these ingredients add a pleasant scent to your DIY blush, they also provide health benefits. For example, lavender promotes relaxation—something that might come in handy while preparing for the day. Furthermore, it helps restore your skin’s complexion, slows aging and reduces acne. Frankincense, meanwhile, also promotes relaxation, but it’s also a strong astringent. That means it can help reduce blemishes as well as the appearance of large pores. It can also prevent wrinkles and tighten the skin.
Pure mica powder will add a bit of a shimmer to your DIY blush. It’s optional, so if you prefer a matte look for your blush, or are unable to locate pure mica powder, go ahead and omit this ingredient.
- 2 tablespoons beet powder (be sure to ground very fine; try using a coffee grinder to achieve better results if needed)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- A pinch of ground cinnamon (for darker hue) OR ground ginger (for lighter hue)
- 2–3 drops lavender essential oil
- 2–3 drops frankincense essential oil
- A pinch of mica powder (optional)
1. Place all dry ingredients into a small bowl. Stir until well-blended.
2. Add the essentials oils and stir well.
3. For a touch of shimmer, add a pinch of mica.
4. Place blush in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
5. Apply with a blush brush.