Sinus infections affect around 35 million Americans each year. Symptoms can range from minor congestion to thick discharge, fever and pain around the eyes and face. Conventional sinus infection treatment may involve antibiotics. (1) Natural sinus infection treatment can help boost the immune system, relieve symptoms and fight the infection.
Sinus Infection Symptoms
- Thick, yellow, foul-smelling discharge from our nose
- Blockage in your nose
- Post-nasal drip
- Sinus pressure or pain around your face and eyes
- A cold that doesn’t go away or gets worse
Sinus Infection Treatment
1. Top Foods for Sinus Infections
- Water: An important part of sinus infection treatment is staying hydrated. Drink at least 8 ounces of water every 2 hours to help flush the virus from your system.
- Horseradish: Mix horseradish with lemon as a sinus infection home remedy to help clear nasal passages.
- Ginger: As a sinus infection home remedy, make ginger tea and add in some raw honey.
- Garlic and onions: Garlic and onions both help boost immune function. (2)
- Vitamin C foods: Foods that are high in Vitamin C can help boost the immune system and speed recovery.
2. Foods To Avoid
- Sugar: Sugar decreases white blood cells which are responsible for fighting off infection.
- Fruit juices: Most fruit juices are processed and full of sugar.
- Dairy products: Milk and other dairy products produce mucus.
- Refined flour and grains: Refined grains can also cause more mucus production.
- Salt: Salt can dehydrate the body and slow healing.
3. Oil of Oregano
Oregano oil is a powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal that can help with sinus infection treatment. Take 500 milligrams of oregano oil four times per day. You can also add a few drops of oregano oil to a large bowl of boiled water as a sinus infection home remedy. Cover your head with a towel and put your face over the pot to inhale the steam. (3)
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Home remedies for sinus infection include grapefruit seed extract. It acts as a potent antiviral to help destroy infections. Use a grapefruit seed extract nasal spray four times per day. (4)
5. Neti Pot
Home remedies for sinus infection include a neti pot. Using a neti pot with a saline solution can help clear the nasal passage ways. Studies have shown that neti pot usage can help clear symptoms of chronic sinusitis. (5)
6. Vitamin C
Vitamin C helps protect the body from infections. It’s a powerful antioxidant that helps protect the cells from free radical damage. Take 1,000 milligrams of Vitamin C three times per day. (6)
Echinacea is a powerful herb that can help treat sinus infections naturally. Take an echinacea supplement at the first sign of illness. 1,000 milligrams 2-3 times per day can help speed healing. (7)
Sinus infection home remedies include garlic. Garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic that can help speed recovery. Consume 2-5 grams of fresh garlic or 2-5 milligrams of garlic oil each day. (8)
Sinus infection home remedies include moisture. Using a humidifier, a saline nasal spray or sitting on a steam-filled bathroom can help reduce congestion and provide relief from sinus infection symptoms. (9)
10. Essential Oils
Several essential oils can work as home remedies for sinus infection. Use peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil to help naturally open up the sinuses, clear mucus and help heal the infection. Rub 1 drop of each oil on the roof of the mouth then drink water.