The human papillomavirus or HPV, is the most prevalent sexually transmitted disease in the United States. HPV is a group of common and infectious viruses that can be shared through skin-to-skin contact. (1) Some types of HPV can raise the risk of oral cancer and cervical cancer. HPV prevention includes practicing safe sex. HPV treatment focuses on a healthy diet and lifestyle along with natural remedies to clear up symptoms.
HPV Causes and Risk Factors
- Any type of unprotected sex
- Skin-to-skin contact with someone who has HPV
- An infected mother can pass HPV down to her newborn during delivery
- Genital warts
- Common warts on the hands, fingers or elbows
- Plantar warts on the soles of the feet
- Flat warts on the face and legs
- Oral warts in the mouth
HPV symptoms that may indicate oral cancers include:
- Sore throat
- White or red patch on the tonsils
- Jaw pain or swelling
- Numb tongue
- Constant earaches
- Unexplained weight loss
- Enlarged lymph nodes
1. Eat a Healthy Diet
An antiviral diet can help boost the immune system and get rid of unwanted warts related to the human papilloma virus. Add the following foods to your diet for HPV natural treatment:
- Foods high in Vitamin C, such as citrus fruits, bell peppers and strawberries (2)
- Probiotic foods, such as fermented vegetables, kimchi and sauerkraut
- Foods high in selenium, including Brazil nuts and mushrooms
- Kvass, a fermented drink that contains probiotics and has liver-cleansing properties
2. Use Antiviral Herbs
Antiviral herbs can help boost the immune system and fight off harmful viruses. (3) For HPV treatment at home, try:
- Astragalus root
- Cat’s claw
- Licorice root
- Olive leaf
- Oregano and oregano oil
3. Use Essential Oils
Certain essential oils can work as HPV natural treatment options. Along with essential oils made from antiviral herbs, tea tree oil and thuja oil can help with HPV treatment. Tea tree oil is known for its antimicrobial properties. To use it as a topical ointment, mix it with a carrier oil. Thuja oil is an Ayurvedic remedy that can be used to help eliminate symptoms of the HPV virus, such as warts. Dilute the oil before using. (4)
4. Make a Natural Wart Remover
For HPV treatment, create a homemade wart remover with natural antiviral and healing ingredients.
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 drop oregano essential oil
- 2 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cotton ball
- 1 bandage
- Combine the apple cider vinegar, oregano essential oil and frankincense together in a small dish and blend well.
- Add in the lemon oil and blend again.
- Add in the coconut oil and stir to make sure all ingredients are well mixed.
- Cleanse the affected area then use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to the area.
- Cover the area with a large bandage.
- Use this remedy twice a day, morning and night as an HPV treatment until the wart is removed.
- Practice safe sex: While condoms are not a full-proof prevention method since HPV causes include skin-to-skin contact, condoms can help reduce your chances of developing HPV, as well as other STD’s. (5)
- Avoid sex with anyone who has visible signs of HPV
- Limit the number of sexual partners