By Gillian B
We do our best to eat healthy, go to the gym and live an active lifestyle, but there is one key ingredient that is often overlooked: SEX. An essential part of holistic wellness is healthy relationships, intimacy, and connection.
Sex is something that most people do not like to talk about, in fact, its quite taboo in many circles. Many people carry a lot of sexual shame their whole lives without being aware of it. However, if we want to be truly healthy and balanced in all areas of our life, we need to shed some light on sex!
So here are the Top 10 Health Benefits of Sex for Women:
1) Improves Circulation to organs of the pelvic cavity, delivering nutrients, growing healthy tissues and regulating the menstrual cycle. Women who have intercourse once a week are more likely to have regular menstrual cycles than women who are celibate or who have infrequent sex.
2) Increases fertility and a sense of wellness by energizing the hypothalamus gland (which regulates appetite, body temperature and emotions) and the pituitary gland (which in turn governs the release of reproductive hormones that induce ovulation and cervical fluid).
3) Provides overall lymphatic massage, helping the body’s natural detoxification process to improve digestion and mood and help prevent cancer.
4) Promotes healthy estrogen levels to keep vaginal tissues supple and protect against osteoporosis and heart disease.
5) Induces deep relaxation by boosting endorphin levels and flushing cortisol out of the body.
6) Spikes levels of nitric oxide, a “miracle molecule,” and DHEA, a hormone that improves brain function, balances the immune system, helps maintain and repair tissue, and promotes healthy glowing skin.
7) Helps a woman look younger. Studies show that making love three times a week in a stress-free relationship can make you look ten years younger.
8) Boosts infection-fighting cells up to 20 percent—helps fight colds and flu!
9) May help with migraines and helps treat other types of pain by elevating pain thresholds (in preparation for childbirth).
10) Increases levels of the hormone oxytocin, which is linked to passion, intuition, and social skills—the hormone of bonding and success!
If you are female and are looking to understand your body, hormones, sex drive, fertility and femininity more, I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of WomanCode today. It is a must-read for the modern woman!