If you have ever purchased mass produced cough drops, you know they don’t really do the job they promise to do. Commercial cough drops are full of added sugar and other nasty chemicals that help them taste better. However, homemade cough drops are a completely different story. Defeat your cough or sore throat with the delicious cough drops below.
These delicious cough drops are made with a honey base. Raw honey is the best superfood for soothing a cough for aching throat. Even a spoonful of honey will bring some relief. However, in cough drop form, you get the added relief from honey for much longer.
Homemade Cough Drops With Essential Oils
Essential oils are a powerful tool against coughs and colds. However, ingesting them isn’t always easy. Adding some essential oils to your cough drops may be just what you need.
Ginger is one great essential oil to add. It has anti-inflammatory properties, relieves congestion, and is a natural antibiotic. Overall, ginger essential oils is a great remedy to have when suffering from a cough.
Peppermint oil is perfect for coughs or any other respiratory illnesses. It also fights minor fevers and seasonal allergy symptoms. Basically, peppermint will stop your cough no matter the root cause.
Lavender essential oil is an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It’s perfect for coughs and sore throats. Best of all, it is a natural relaxer and will help you get to sleep in no time.
If you need an essential oil that will any upper respiratory infection, oregano oil is your go to. It is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and fights allergies.
Cypress essential oil is excellent for relieving congestion and removing phlegm. It is also good for fighting infections.
Eucalyptus oil is a powerful remedies for colds, the flu, and allergies. However, it is not safe for children under the age of 10.
Frankincense essential oil is perfect for relief of cold and flu symptoms. It fights illness and helps you feel better.
More Powerful Ingredients To Add
Basil – Basil has strong antibacterial properties and fights inflammation.
Elderberry – Elderberries contain bioflavonoids that work to soothe inflammation caused by a sore throat, cough, cold and other respiratory issues.
Homemade Cough Drops Recipe With Essential Oils
The best part about this cough drop recipe is that you can really make them your own. Finding the perfect combination of ingredients is easy.
What You Will Need:
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 herbal tea bags of your choice
- 8 drops of desired essential oils
- optional: 1 tsp extra ingredients of your choice
- candy thermometer
- thick bottomed small pot
- Steep 3 bags of herbal tea in 1/2 cup of boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine tea with honey, essential oils, and extra ingredients.
- Total extra ingredients should be 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons. Mix and match as desired.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly before adding to heat. You should not stir while heating your cough drops.
- Heat cough drop mixture to 300 degrees and then pour into desired mold.
- This is when you would mix in your essential oils.
- Total drops of essential oils should be 8. You can mix and match the essential oils your choose.
- Wait for the cough drops to cool and then wrap each cough drop in wax paper.
- The cough drops will last longer in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Precautions To Consider
When trying out new ingredients or essential oils, it is best to make sure there is no allergic reaction. Perform a minor spot test for essential oils and only use herbs you know you have no reaction to.
Remember to add the essential oils after heating up the honey. Adding them before and heating them up with the honey will destroy their medicinal properties.
Lastly, if you are on any prescription medication or have a chronic illness, it is best to contact a health care professional before trying a new natural treatment.