By Gillian B
As a self-care teacher, I am lucky enough to have spent the past 7 years teaching people how to upgrade their diets, mindsets and lifestyles to live a better life! I absolutely love what I do, so I want to summarize some of my top tips for those of you who are looking to get healthy but don’t really know where to begin.
Are you ready to change your life? START HERE:
- Take care of yourself before taking care of others. Personal development is one of the best things you can do for the world!
- Everything in moderation (even the “healthy” stuff)! Rotate your foods so you don’t have the same thing everyday.
- Leave at least a 12-hour gap between dinner at night and breakfast the next morning to allow for proper digestion and detoxification.
- Eat locally and organic as much as possible. Yes… it really is important!
- Eat only when you’re hungry and until you are content, not stuffed to the brim.
- Avoid eating late, under stress and avoid as much packaged food as possible.
- Chew, chew, chew your food! This may take some practice but try counting, and aim for 27x per bite.
- Do the best you can with what you’ve got and bless the rest! Be flexible with your mind and your diet. Rigidity is limiting and no fun. Guilt is the absolute worst thing for digestion.
- Upon waking, down a tall glass of water to flush and rehydrate the body. Experiment with adding a little lemon juice, raw apple cider vinegar and/ or cayenne.
- Aim for 1 blended meal a day; either breakfast or dinner is ideal to give your digestion a break. Smoothies and soups make this easy to accomplish.
- Eat the rainbow! Colorful fruits and veggies are the foundation of a (mostly) whole food, plant-based diet.
- Be grateful for what you’ve got and make peace with where you are.
- Learn to love your imperfections!
- Listen to your body, it’s much smarter than the noise in your head. What you are told is “healthy” may not be the right fit for you, so I encourage you to experiment and find out what works and what doesn’t.
- When it comes to getting nutrients remember: food first, supplements second.
- Unplug! Do a digital detox after 8 pm each night and sleep in an electronic-free room, in complete darkness.
- Clean house! Plan a detox at least twice a year.
- Get outside and ground yourself daily!
- Stop and remind yourself to breathe as often as you need to.
- Create a daily self-care routine. This could include: oil pulling, self massage, taking a warm bath, exercise, meditation, journaling, affirmations, prayer, etc.
Featured image by: www.sashawhittaker.com
Want more inspiration and healthy recipes? My online video course Healthy Living 101 is coming out soon! CLICK HERE to be the first to know when its launched!