According to a new report from the L.A. County Coroner, Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose after he took a variety of prescription medications.
TMZ reports that Petty’s official cause of death is listed as “mixed drug toxicity.”
At the time of Petty’s death, officials reportedly found him suffering from full cardiac arrest. They were reportedly able to revive him. He eventually lost a pulse for 20 minutes en route to the hospital. Once there, he entered cardiac arrest for a second time and died.
Further, TMZ cites Tom Petty’s medical record as indicating he was on several pain medications for conditions ranging from knee problems to a fractured hip.
Unfortunately, Petty used drugs such as Fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl thanks to extensive pain his unrealistic touring schedule brought on.
According to CBS, Petty’s family has confirmed his cause of death as an accidental overdose.
“As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications,” CBS quotes Petty’s family as stating.
Tragically, as Petty’s family hinted in their statement, the music legend was far from the only person in the world to suffer from dependence on painkillers.
A shocking 10% of high school seniors admit to abusing prescription painkillers of some kind according to Drug Free World.
Prescription painkillers aren’t the only problem either; over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen are also highly abused in America, as we’ve reported previously.
The good news is that there are other options. See this article for a list of natural muscle relaxers that can ease pain without the use of addicted chemicals. To reduce the anxiety that often comes with pain, check out this article for natural anxiety remedy.